ANNUAL JOINT MEETING OF THE ALUMNI CHAPTER AND PROPERTY ASSOCIATION
DELTA DELTA CHAPTER OF SIGMA NU FRATERNITY
ANNUAL JOINT MEETING OF THE
ALUMNI CHAPTER AND PROPERTY ASSOCIATION
October 9, 2022
CALL TO ORDER
The President of the Property Association, Brother Bob Nelson, ΔΔ916, called the joint annual meeting of the Delta Delta Alumni Chapter and the Delta Delta Property Association of Sigma Nu Fraternity, Inc. (hereinafter “Association”) to order. This meeting fulfills the requirement of Article IV, Meetings, Section 1, of the Association’s Bylaws. The meeting, using ZOOMtm, was convened at approximately 7:04 PM (EDT). Brother Nelson determined that a quorum was present (based on those alumni participating in the conference and duly executed and submitted proxies) as required by the Association’s Bylaws. Introductions followed a brief welcome by Brother Nelson. Brother Nelson led a recitation of The Creed. The meeting agenda is provided as Enclosure 1.
ATTENDANCE AND QUORUM DETERMINATION
Bob Nelson, ΔΔ916 (five additional votes by proxies of William Knepper, ΔΔ900, Clyde Braun, ΔΔ902, Leroy (Bud) Bilanich, ΔΔ926, Steve Rodrigo, ΔΔ1160, and Lane Kintigh, ΔΔ1156)
Tom Will, ΔΔ891
Rich Feimster, ΔΔ1000
Ernie Russom, ΔΔ1014 (one additional vote by Proxy of Doug Kosydar, ΔΔ1249)
Gary Gleason, ΔΔ1247
Darren Crisman, ΔΔ1475
Brian Collery, ΔΔ1278
Pat Thompson, ΔΔ1400
John Forstmeier, ΔΔ1499 (two additional votes by proxies of George Bonnewell, ΔΔ1490, and Chris Dorian, ΔΔ1484)
Nick Bucci, ΔΔ1510
Total Participating In-Person: 10
Proxies Submitted: 8
Quorum Requirement: 10
Proxies are retained for the record but not included with this report’s distribution.
The report of the previous meeting, held on October 3, 2021, was approved as submitted by Brother Nelson.
Brother Nelson reported for the Alumni Chapter. His combined report is attached (Enclosure 2).
Property Association & Alumni Chapter
Brother Nelson asked if there were any questions or comments on the previously distributed Annual Report, and Addendum thereto, for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2022. There were none and these reports were unanimously approved.
Brother Nelson provided the President’s/Commander’s Report on recently completed and planned activities and the organizations’ financial status (Enclosure 2). He highlighted:
- The alumni reunion on July 22 – 24, 2022;
- Issues with window AC units;
- Activities of the Lion Fraternity Alumni Association (housing fairs to replace fall freshman recruitment);
- Submission of draft Re-Colonization Plan to the General Fraternity;
- Bat remediation; and
- Financial information.
Brother Nelson reported, because of the Property Association’s large net income for the fiscal year ending on June 30, income tax of $3,074 is due and quarterly tax payments of $769 are due this year. The large net income was the result of maintenance/repair expenses being far less than budgeted.
Plans for 2022 – 2023 are included in the President’s/Commander’s Report.
“BURNING OF THE MORTGAGE”
Concerned with activating a smoke alarm, Brother Nelson tore-up the mortgage loan document and tossed the pieces in the air.
QUESTION AND ANSWER
Note: Some answers were updated after the meeting.
Q. When will re-colonization begin?
A. Based on our draft Re-Colonization Plan, on-site recruitment of new colony members by the General Fraternity team will begin in August 2026. However, preparations will begin long before that date. The most significant activity will be the recruitment of the Alumni Advisory Board (AAB). Brother Nelson stated, because of potential liability, no members of the AAB can be officers or directors of the Property Association.
Q. When will the Evans Scholars Foundation (our tenet) be informed of our re-colonization plans.
A. Our lease requires formal notification 12 months prior to lease termination. The lease terminates in May 2028. Brother Nelson noted that ESF will be aware of our plans long before that date because on-site recruitment for the colony is scheduled to begin in August 2026.
Q. Are we “below the radar” with the General Fraternity?
A. Brother Nelson opined that we weren’t high on the GF priority list. The GF has 150+ active chapters, some with risk issues. The rapidly rising cost of liability insurance is a major concern of the GF. However, Brother Nelson has had recent re-colonization discussions with the GF’s Director of Fraternal Operations and Director of Expansion and Recruitment. The recently submitted draft Re-Colonization Plan was in response to these discussion. A follow-up discussion is planned but not yet scheduled. In addition to providing the GF copies of our newsletters, annual report, annual meeting report, and strategic plan updates, Brother Nelson submits an annual update letter to the Executive Director.
Q. How is Ed Sidwell (ΔΔ879) doing?
A. Brother Nelson stated due to health issues, his mobility is limited. Brother Nelson could not elaborate. Brothers Will and Nelson noted his extensive and long-time support recalling his involvement when they lived in the chapter house in the late 60’s and early 70’s. The participants expressed their appreciation and best wishes for Brother Sidwell.
The revised Property Association Bylaws (Enclosure 3), deleting the position of Chapter Advisor, were adopted. The Chapter Advisor position will be relocated to the Alumni Chapter.
There was no new business “from the floor.”
All nominations were properly moved and seconded. All votes were unanimous. Brothers George Bonnewell (Alumni Chapter Treasurer), and Steve Rodrigo (Property Association Director) did not desire to continue in these positions. Brother Gleason (Alumni Chapter Lt Commander) wanted to run for a director position.
Brother Nelson presided over the elections for the Alumni Chapter. The following officers were re-elected for a term of one year.
Worthy Commander: Bob Nelson, ΔΔ916
Lieutenant Commander: Rich Feimster, ΔΔ1000
Treasurer: Tom Will, ΔΔ891
Recorder: Cam Sabatini, ΔΔ1534
Advisor Jim Wyland, ΔΔ1273
The following officers were re-elected for a one-year term:
President Bob Nelson, ΔΔ916
Vice President: Ed Sidwell. ΔΔ879
Treasurer: Chris Dorian, ΔΔ1484
Recorder: Bob Nelson, ΔΔ916
Brothers Nick Bucci, ΔΔ1510, Gary Gleason, ΔΔ1247, and Lane Kintigh, ΔΔ1156, were elected as directors, each for a three-year term.
With eight of nine directors voting in-person or by proxy, Brother Ernie Russom, ΔΔ1014, was elected as Chairman of the Board.
Brother Nelson thanked the participants for a productive meeting.
[Post-Meeting Note: Brother Nelson will prepare Certificate of Appreciation for: Jim Shincovich, ΔΔ860, and his wife Susan for their support of Alumni Reunion; George Bonnewell, ΔΔ1490, for his service as Alumni Chapter Treasurer; and Steve Rodrigo, ΔΔ1160, for his service as a Property Association Director.]
There was no further business presented and the meeting was properly adjourned at approximately 7:44 PM.
Robert A. Nelson
Robert A. Nelson, ΔΔ916
President and Recorder
Delta Delta Property Association of Sigma Nu Fraternity
Commander, Alumni Chapter
- President’s/Commander’s Report
- Property Association Bylaws
- Proxies (not included in distribution)
DELTA DELTA CHAPTER OF SIGMA NU FRATERNITY
ALUMNI CHAPTER & PROPERTY ASSOCIATION
October 9, 2022, 7:00 PM
To report on the status of the alumni organizations, discuss plans for the current fiscal year, conduct business as it may be properly brought forward before the organizations, and elect officers and directors for the next year.
ORDER OF BUSINESS:
- Welcome, Roll Call, Recitation of the Creed, Nelson
- Determination of Quorum, Nelson
Property Association, Nelson
– Report of Previous Meeting (October 3, 2021)
– Annual Report and Addendum Q&A
– Plans for 2022 – 2023
Alumni Chapter (Included in Property Assoc. Reports), Nelson
- Ceremonial ”Burning” of the Mortgage, Nelson
- Re-Colonization Q&A (if National participates), Gen Fraternity
- Old Business, Nelson
- New Business, Nelson
– Adoption of Association Bylaw Change
– New Business from the Floor??
Alumni Chapter Officers – one year term, Nelson
Property Association Officers – one year term, Russom
Property Association Directors – three year term, Association President
Chairman of the Board, Association President
- Adjourn, Association President
DELTA DELTA CHAPTER ALUMNI ANNUAL MEETING
OCTOBER 9, 2022
- Prepared & issued the 21-22 Annual Report & the financial addendum thereto
- Participated in an Alumni Engagement Webinar (Cost of Misconduct) sponsored by the General Fraternity
- Attended and monitored new resident training on lease rules and regulations; commented on adequacy
- Prepared a draft revision to the Association Bylaws and distributed to the officers & directors
- Prepared and distributed monthly budget execution reports after reconciling with accountant financial statements
- Revised the budget to account for federal income tax payments
- Solicited bids and signed a contract to replace the kitchen porch roof on 9/3/22. Contractor has not responded. Follow-up needed. [Post-Meeting Note: Letter mailed on 10/11/22]
- Responded to issues with summer residents regarding AC units.
- Secured various possible access points for bats.
- Participated in a meeting of the Lion Fraternity Alumni Association
- Monitored & reported on progress/success of the fall housing fair
- Reviewed and revised as needed the weekly walk-through report prepared by the Nittany Co-Op. Assigned maintenance/repair actions.
- Updated House Operations Guide for ESF
- ESF funded the painting of parking lot space stripes resulting in 26 unobstructed spaces.
- Updated resident move-in instructions.
- Completed some routine inspections (sprinkler, fire extinguisher, backflow)
- Authorized minor repairs
- Held a reunion on July 22 – 24, 2022
- Prepared and published the fall 2022 newsletter
- Prepared and sent one condolence letter
- Updated Re-Colonization Fund based on FY donations to date ($1,000)
- Prepared a Re-Colonization Plan and submitted to the General Fraternity
- Resolved a web issue that prevented posting of the Annual Report – posted the 21 – 22 report
PLANS FOR 2022 – 2023
- Replace slate on kitchen porch roof with asphalt shingles due to weathering and damage. This roof is original 1925 construction.
- Ongoing activities as documented in the most recent Annual Report
Bank balances effective September 30, 2022:
- $25,654.58, with a rent check of $7,669 awaiting deposit
- $128,999.00, total, with the following reserves
- $10,000.00 “rainy day” fund
- $28,276.00 Re-Colonization Fund